Lost Your Car Keys?
What To Do If You Lost Your Car Keys
Here at Lightning Locksmiths, we understand what it’s like to lose your car keys, and it can feel like the end of the world.
The good news, there’s no need to worry, you found just the right place to help you.
We specialise in replacing lost car keys, and in most cases, we can have you back on the road the same day.
Below guide will help to answer some of your questions and provide you with more information about the things that you may need before one of our locksmiths arrives. Or simply give us a call and we will help you out in no time.
1. What information do you need before the locksmith arrives?
If you can, prepare the following information:
- Make, model, and year of vehicle
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Driver's licence or valid ID
- Your postal zip code
- Utility bill or letterhead that has your full name and address on it to help confirm your ownership of the vehicle
2. What kind of car key did you lose?
There are two types of car keys, which are remote keys or transponder keys (non-remote). If you have a remote key, you will have one of three types:
- Remote fob with key
- Remote entry fob with integrated key
- Remote Keyless System Fob
Most vehicles produced after 1995 will have a transponder chip that's specifically programmed for your vehicle, and non-transponder keys do not have remote control features.
3. How much does it cost to cut or program keys?
- Keys to non-transponder vehicle when all keys are lost, start from $250*
- Keys to transponder or remote immobiliser equipped vehicle when all keys are lost, start from $350*
*These prices are estimates based on common locking systems in vehicles. These prices apply during business hours. Please call us for an accurate estimate or after hours pricing.
4. What should I do if I lost my only car key?
5. How long does it take to get a new car key?
We're called Lightning Locksmiths for a reason, we carry a large supply of blanks, and in most cases, you get your new car key the same day.
6. Can Lightning Locksmiths make a new key without the original?
The answer is yes, just provide us with your VIN number, so we can make sure that we bring the right blank for your vehicle.
Depending on the make and model of your vehicle, we may have to order a blank, but these are rare cases.
7. Do I need to replace my door and boot locks?
No you don't, we can program your locks out and reconfigure them to work with your new key.
8. Does my car insurance cover lost or stolen car keys?
Check the terms and conditions of your policy because there are some insurance providers that do cover lost or stolen car keys.
9. Is there anything I should do if my car keys were stolen?
The answer is no, we will reconfigure locks to stop anyone from using your stolen car keys.
10. What are the types of vehicles that Lightning Locksmiths services?
- Motor Scooters
11. What vehicle brands do you service?
We service all makes and models currently driving the roads in Australia, and some of the brands we service include:
- And many others
12. Can Lightning Locksmiths come to my vehicle's location?
The answer is yes, we are mobile locksmiths that are available 24/7 and we service the South Eastern Melbourne area.
How to Get Your New Car Keys Today